You have to get an Alberta wedding licence one which just get hitched in Alberta
A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) that you have actually met most of the appropriate demands to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from a registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a document that is 2-part. The top component is a Registration of Marriage plus the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be fond of the marriage officiant that’ll be performing your wedding. This can be a appropriate document and needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is forever archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate as opposed to a wedding licence.
There aren’t any residency or citizenship demands.
There’s absolutely no time frame that have to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta and also the date a married relationship licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A wedding licence is legitimate for three months through the date it really is granted.
A marriage might take put the day that is same wedding licence is granted. There’s no waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
If you’re presently hitched, you simply can’t submit an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever having the marriage licence, you have to:
- Use together in the registry agent workplace
- Some exceptions may apply, talk to a registry agent for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm a false affidavit
- Offer your information that is personal the total names and delivery places of one’s parents (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, you simply can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be pertaining to one another being a grandparent, moms and dad, son or daughter, sibling or grandchild, by entire blood, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, speech or aesthetically weakened
- Either person getting married can be an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you needs to be 18 years old or older.
If you’re more youthful than 18 years old, you are able to submit an application for a wedding licence if all of your parents and appropriate guardians permission towards the wedding licence being released, unless other conditions use. Seek the advice of a registry representative for complete details.
If you’re more youthful than 16 years of age, you simply can’t marry in Alberta.
If a person associated with the few don’t have appropriate ID, that person may possibly provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several following:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings is necessary; the breakup document supplied should be the document that is finalfor instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A breakup document that says a married relationship is dissolved in X period of time is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or the divorce proceedings ended up being contested through that time.
- Breakup documents that aren’t in English needs to be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation demands.
- A death certification for the spouse that is deceased not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status papers are required.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be awarded by way of a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back into exactly what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took spot. The prior status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- As soon as the marital status before the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce or separation must certanly be supplied as well as a content for the court ordered annulment
- Whenever past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is required
Whenever a wedding ended up being annulled, a duplicate associated with the court ordered annulment should be provided. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are perhaps perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English needs to be translated. Seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, each for the people that will be engaged and getting married must be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is necessary. Whenever an interpreter is necessary, it really is your obligation to present one.
The interpreter must certanly be:
- 18 yrs old or older
- Proficient both in English while the language translation that is requiring
As soon as the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient when you look at the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There was a $40 federal federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider charges vary among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step one. Make certain you meet the criteria to use for a wedding licence
The wedding needs to be place that is taking Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before you apply, make certain you as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Step 2. Gather your write-ups
Just take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance breakup papers. Contact a registry agent, they could verify exactly just what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, and use for a married relationship licence.
Once you use
A married relationship licence is given although you wait.
Should you not have most of the given information and papers required, the procedure are going to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for errors whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have mistakes corrected straight away.
Ahead of the ceremony occurs, mistakes may be corrected by way of a registry agent.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes should be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been provided once the wedding licence ended up being granted.
Interact with Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holidays) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5